CHOOSING A COGNOS CLASS
If you are looking for IBM Cognos training, we have the right course for you. Choosing the “right” course is generally a matter of determining your role in the company, along with what you are trying to accomplish.
ROLE, RESPONSIBILITIES & COURSE LIST
Administrator: Responsible for the installation, configuration, and maintenance of server-level components of IBM Cognos. Core job responsibilities for a System Administrator include: performance optimization, troubleshooting, and security administration. Relevant coursework:
- System Administration | A 2-day course that provides a solid foundation for any IBM Cognos System Administrator.
Modeler: Responsible for the design and development of models to support the metadata and OLAP structures used for reporting and analysis of company data. Relevant coursework:
- Intro: Framework Manager Metadata Modeling | A 3-day course in which students will complete an end-to-end modeling and deployment exercise following best practices. We work from a relational data source and cover OLAP Over Relational (OOR) or Dimensionally Modeled Relational (DMR) techniques. OLAP Modeling in IBM Cognos is traditionally done via IBM Cognos Transformer.
- End-to-End OLAP Modeling with Transformer | A 2-day course in which students create multi-dimensional models, build and deploy PowerCubes, work with advanced modeling techniques, and tune the OLAP sources for performance.
- OLAP Modeling with Cube Designer | A 2-day course during which students create multi-dimensional models, build, deploy, and administer Dynamic Cubes, work with advanced modeling techniques, and tune the environment for performance.
Professional Author: Responsible for the development of production-ready reports which satisfy sophisticated and varied business requirements. These authors need a tool powerful and flexible enough to support any requirement dictated by the business; that tool is Report Studio. Interactive prompting, drill-through, dynamic conditional presentation and layout, advanced query logic, complex expressions, even the use of macros require more intensive training. Separated into Relational versus Dimensional or OLAP data sources.
- Beginning and Intermediate Authoring | A 2-day, accelerated, compressed course intended even for those with some experience, taking authors from the basics to fairly sophisticated reporting skills.
- Advanced Authoring | A 1-day course for more experienced authors that builds on what is taught in the first course.
- Expert Authoring | A 1-day course tailored to authors, with extensive experience building reports, who are looking for tips to sharpen and expand their skillset.
Dimensional / OLAP Data Sources and Report Studio:
- Dimensional Authoring Fundamentals | A 1-day course that teaches skills for building more dynamic, flexible, and better-performing reports, regardless of the OLAP platform.
- Advanced Dimensional Authoring | A 1-day course offering experienced OLAP authoring.
- Active Reports Authoring | For version 10 IBM Active Reports using Report Studio, this 1-day course is designed to kick-start your Active Reports initiative. Active Reports have proven to be an effective way to deliver reports to the growing audience of mobile users. This course is only recommended for those with some experience building traditional reports using Report Studio.
Line of Business Author: Responsible for creating reports for personal use, or limited distribution, based on narrow or case-specific goals. These users typically require a more accessible tool so they can conduct their own analysis without extensive training or involvement from professional authors. We recommend IBM Cognos Workspace Advanced to meet common business authoring requirements, such as visualization, sophisticated calculations and filtering, and layout control. Relevant coursework:
- Introduction: Self-Service Authoring | A 1-day course that introduces users to Cognos Workspace and quickly transitions to a focus on traditional business authoring in a relational context. We also offer a 1-day OLAP.
- Data Exploration: Deeper Discovery & Analytics | A 1-day course in which users work with Cognos Workspace. This course uses dimensional, or OLAP, data as its focus.
End User: What about the individual who requests or reviews these reports? We do not expect any project to have much success if we ignore the largest segment of users. However, we have found that generic classroom training is the least effective way to engage this audience.
Instead, we recommend identifying a project champion, or power user, within your organization. Working with this person, we will use your data to customize a brief training program tailored to your specific areas of emphasis.
Every company is different and often so is their training need. Thus, we schedule and custom-design courses to best meet the needs of each client. If that requires creating new content, on-site consulting with end-users, or demonstrating live with your data, we will do that as well. These trainings can also be recorded for later reference.